You know we love it when the beautiful sun starts to shine in summer. It draws us out and about to enjoy the season in a way that we midwesterners look forward to all year.
Recently, Coach Kathie reached out to me with an observation a client had brought to her during a PT session… the factor that with the heat can also come a lack of appetite. Although completely normal, not exactly helpful at all times depending on the amount of energy being expelled through work, movements and all the seasonal fun.
Although the sun does provide a level of energy to the human body all its own, we still need to fuel from the inside with other vital nutrients. So I’ve put together a list of a few foods that can assist with plant fiber in the body to stay feeling hydrated, satiated and full of energy.
Think hydration, healthy fats and some gentle protein (especially if mid day). Heavier forms of protein in whole food form like red meat will absolutely feel heavier in the body than the protein ideas listed below. Of course protein powder can be helpful but it’s also important to have non supplement proteins in rotation.
Foods to consider:
- Seaweed… like in sushi or as a seaweed salad widely available at any grocery with ready to-go sushi.
- Cabbage… which also brings me to fermented foods like sauerkraut and pickled red onion which is great for natural probiotics to keep the gut happy and able to process foods well.
- Canned tuna and other tinned fish
- Chickpeas… so versatile as snacks, salad/bowl ideas and even hummus
Prepped foods / bites to consider:
- Spring or summer rolls are light and full of plant fiber.. Add tofu for a light protein option and a fun cooking project
- Sushi! A well balanced bite of carbohydrates with rice, protein from fish, plant fiber and omegas from avocado
- Tuna salad anything
- Hummus with sliced cucumber
Stay cool community. Get creative. Next time you’re at the gym, let us know what you came up with to beat the heat from your very own kitchen.