Every now and then I run across a recipe that must be shared. I found this delicious and nutritious treat by way of Nutritional Psychiatrist, Uma Naidoo, M.D. The primary focus of her practice is to assist with the mental well-wellbeing of her patients by way of nutrient dense foods…
With nutrient dense food, a little goes a long way and is often packed with essentials that the body needs to operate more fully and to feel more well rounded in all areas of life.
“This smoothie has a balance of low-glycemic index carbohydrates, healthy fats, fiber, and protein, this chocolate and cherry protein smoothie makes for an excellent on-the-go breakfast that will keep you full, focused, and calm throughout your morning.” As she describes the recipe.
Chocolate & Cherry Protein Smoothie
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cherries (pitted)
- 1 scoop protein powder of choice (Note: Opt for one made from mostly whole food ingredients with minimal added sugars or artificial sweeteners)
- 1 tbsp organic unsweetened cacao powder
- 1 tbsp raw nut butter
- 1.5 cups spinach or mixed greens
- 1 cup hemp milk
- Ice cubes (optional)
- 1 tbsp chia, flax, or hemp seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp cinnamon to help balance blood sugar (optional)
- Put all the ingredients (except the milk) in my glass blender bottle the night before and leave them in the fridge. In the morning add the milk and blend.